Faust Lang was born in Oberammergau in Southern Germany. He emigrated to England in 1934; settling in Cornwall – initially staying at Mawgan Porth, near Newquay and in 1949 he moved to St Ives. Here, he purchased the Fauna Studio which became a base for his artistic work.
Lang exhibited widely both nationally and internationally submitting work to the Royal Academy in 1946/47 and numerous other galleries such as the Russell Coates Art Gallery in Bournemouth and The Medici Gallery, Old Bond Street, London.
His sculptural style reflected his South German background and he excelled in figurative subjects both human and animal. His style was very expressive but with great attention to detail, outlining every muscle, sinew and hair in order to give a feeling of life and movement.
He also produced a series of beautiful figurines for Wade Ceramics before World War II – like his original wooden carvings, these are now highly sought after.
The beautiful sculpture is a finely carved miniature sculpture of a racehorse - it is in lovely condition and signed on the base by the artist.